Do you have a perfume bottle you’ve had for years & never used? Or maybe you have a favorite scent you always wear but are unsure how long it will last. This blog post will explore how long perfume lasts & how to make perfumes last longer. We’ll also answer the question of whether or not perfume expires.
So read on to learn more about perfume longevity!
What Is Perfume & How Is It Made?
Before discussing anything else, let’s first know what perfume is & how it is made. Perfumes are basically concentrated fragrance oils mixed with alcohol.
The ratio of fragrance oil to alcohol is what determines the perfume’s strength or concentration.
The Only 3 Perfume types:
- Parfum or Extrait: These have the highest concentration of fragrance oils & tend to be the most expensive. Parfums usually last the longest on the skin, too.
- Eau de Parfum: These have a lower concentration of fragrance oils & are more affordable than parfums. They typically last for about four to five hours on the skin.
- Eau de Toilette: These have the lowest concentration of fragrance oils & only last for two to three hours on the skin. Eau de toilettes are the most common type of perfume, as they strike a good balance between price & longevity.
How Long Does Perfume Last?
Perfume does not have an indefinite shelf life like other products & the typical perfume lasts between three & five years. After that, the perfume will start to degrade & lose its fragrance.
However, there are some things you can do to make your perfume last longer.
- Store your perfume in a cool, dark place.
- Keep your perfume in a tight-sealing bottle, which will help keep the fragrance from evaporating.
- Avoid rubbing your perfume after you’ve applied it. This will break down the perfume molecules & cause the fragrance to dissipate faster.
- Apply perfume to your pulse points. These are areas of your body where your blood vessels are close to the surface of your skin. The warmth of your body will help to release the perfume’s fragrance. Some common pulse points include the wrists, behind the ears & in the crook of the elbow.
- Use a perfume primer before applying your perfume. A perfume primer is a lotion or cream applied to your skin before perfume, which helps hold the perfume on your skin for longer.
- Layer your perfume with other products. You can apply perfume to your body lotion or perfume-scented products like hair spray or body wash. This will help to amplify the fragrance & make it last longer.
- Avoid spraying perfume directly onto your clothes. The perfume will interact with the fabric & cause the scent to change & stain your clothes. Instead, spray perfume into the air & walk through the mist.
- Lastly, if you have a perfume you don’t often wear, consider storing it in the refrigerator. This will help to keep the perfume fresh for longer.
Now that we pretty much know about perfumes & how long they last, finally, let’s discuss the most inquired question: whether perfume expires or not?
Does Perfume Expire?
While perfume doesn’t technically expire, it will start to degrade after a few years, which means the perfume will lose its fragrance & won’t smell as strong as it did when you first bought it.
So, if you have an old perfume bottle you’re not sure about using, it’s best to err on the side of caution & throw it away. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Where To Buy Perfume?
Now that you know all about perfume, you might be wondering where to buy perfume. Believe us, the finest spot to get amazing perfume is Awesome Perfumes. We have been in the perfume industry for years & provide you with the best perfume according to your needs. Not just that, they offer a variety of perfumes for both men & women.
What are you waiting for? Check out Awesome Perfumes today & get yourself the best perfume!
(Related Blog – How To Start Storing Your Awesome Perfumes Bottles?)